Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 17:08:29 -0700

John Wiegley wrote:
I've been scanning the messages in this thread, but I must admit I'm not
seeing the forest for the trees. Can someone summarize the points to be
decided here?

The main issue is whether text-quoting-style should be customizable, as opposed to being a simple Lisp variable as it is now. Eli said "no", you said "yes", and as I recall this issue was unresolved the last time it was mentioned on this list. (I don't care, myself.)

The latest email flurry is minor by comparison. The main issues there are about the Elisp manual, and are:

1. Whether the manual should recommend routinely let-binding text-quoting-style, a style that Alan favors. I think it should recommend the (message "%s" ...) style that the Emacs source code itself uses, as this style is more flexible and reliable. (I can give examples of why, if you care.)

2. Alan wants the description of every affected function to have a big paragraph about text quoting, whereas I prefer to replace those big paragraphs with short blurbs that reference a single (new) section that covers the issue in more detail than the big paragraphs would.