Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:36:28 -0700

On 09/25/2017 12:03 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
At the moment, there is a single known example in the Emacs lisp code

There are plenty of examples other than the one you noticed in cc-engine.el. For example, here's one in shell.el's shell-dirstack-message function:

   (message "%s" msg)

MSG is a string containing directory names followed by spaces, and the "%s" avoids translation of directory names that happen to contain grave accents or apostrophes (or percents, for that matter). This is a common programming technique in Emacs source code, and has been for decades.

I will be unhappy if the text around the cross references
doesn't state that the translation of quotes can be inhibited.  Without
that, the documentation of each function would be incomplete and
fragmented.  "To influence or inhibit this translation of the quote
characters, see xxxxxx." would do.

Sure, that's easy. Revised patch attached.

How about merging this change into emacs-26 anyway, now?

I now see one minor error in the scratch/customize-quotes patch, which is that its etc/NEWS file incorrectly states ", except that 'text-quoting-style' no longer affects the treatment of curved quotes in format arguments to functions like 'message' and 'format-message'", a phrase that appears to be a stray leftover from an earlier version of your proposal. The attached patch fixes that, and also has been rebased to apply after the scratch/customize-quotes is merged in, so I suggest that you merge scratch/customize-quotes and that I then apply the attached patch.