Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 12:34:59 +0300

> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:43:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Paul Eggert <address@hidden>,
>         address@hidden
>
> > The form I favour is:
> >     (let ((text-quoting-style 'grave))    (1)
> >       (message "'%s" form))
> >
> > What Paul favours is something like
> >     (message "%s" (format "'%s" form))    (2)
>
> Another difference between the two (of course): With #1
> you can easily control the scope of the effect.
>
> For example, you can use a single such `let' for multiple
> such messages.  And you can of course do this at any depth.
> And you can override that locally at some depth using another
> `let', binding a different value to `text-quoting-style'.

The above use case is a marginal one: there's rarely a reason to
display symbols like 'foo in echo-area messages, let alone in a series
of such messages.

So let's not let marginal use cases drive this discussion, which is
complex enough already.

FWIW, Paul's proposal sounds better to me, for the purposes of
documenting the "fire escape".