Re: Emacs on Ubuntu advice

From: Ingo Lohmar
Subject: Re: Emacs on Ubuntu advice
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 23:03:36 +0200

On Sun, Oct 15 2017 21:09 (+0200), Fabrice Popineau wrote:
> 2. We try to make GNU Emacs run on various platforms,
>> but running Emacs on Windows in any fashion
>> cannot eliminate the injustice of Windows itself.
>> I hope you find the strength to escape from Windows.
>>

> Sincerely : _I don't want to_. Some of us are perfectly happy to pay for
> what
> we get (I praise Windows for its stability).

It appears that you do not want to talk about moral issues, but your
offhanded words severely mischaracterize the GNU project (hence Emacs in
particular), and that, I feel, should be corrected.

"The injustice of Windows itself", as I understand it, is not that
people should pay for it (and the GNU project never has opposed paying
for software), but that Windows staunchly denies its users the most
basic freedoms they deserve --- on practically any level, and, BTW, with
grave practical consequences.

Also, I presume that a very "stable" oppressive regime is worse than an
unstable one, at least in the long run.

I was tempted to put a smiley after the last sentence, but on second
thought it does not seem appropriate.