Re: windows installer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: windows installer
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 09:40:09 +0200

> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:43:08 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I, for one, am not interested in "installing" any Emacs build
> (Program Files etc.).  I use multiple builds from different
> releases.  I don't even want anything added, by default, to
> PATH.

Then you should be fine with just unzipping a zip file, because by
default the Windows explorer does that into a separate directory.

But this installer is not for people like you or me who know what they
are doing and have special needs and requirements.  It is primarily
for the naïve (a.k.a. "newbie") who just want to be able to invoke the
installer and get Emacs installed "correctly", meaning that Emacs is
available to any other program running on the system.  And that means
being installed where other programs are installed (which gives them
additional protection by system-wide processes and features), and
being on PATH.