Re: [Msys2-users] About DLLs needed by Emacs (W64)

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Msys2-users] About DLLs needed by Emacs (W64)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 18:17:42 +0000

>   > The new "with-deps" build and installer of Emacs actually packages quite
>   > a bit of msys2/mingw64 including, for example, a python
>   > installation.
>
> Does this new packaging include any GPL-covered binaries that are not
> from Emacs itself?  Would someone please check this carefully?

Almost certainly yes.

> If it does, the GPL (whichever version) requires distributing that source code
> as well.

https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-26.0.90-deps-mingw-w64-src.zip.sig

Which is the source for the dependency packages from msys.

This was the reason I distributed Emacs and its dependencies separately
for Emacs-25. I didn't work out how to get the source for the
dependencies till after the Emacs-25 cycle had started, so could not
distribute the dependencies in the first instance.

Phil