Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: George Plymale II
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 18:02:12 -0500

> I don't know of an online resource with such details, but maybe it's
> somewhere in the FSF website.  There is a statement to that effect in
> the assignment agreement itself, at least in the paper version I
> received when I made my assignment many years ago:

>    FSF agrees to grant back to Developer, and does hereby grant,
>    non-exclusive, royalty-free and non-cancellable rights to use the Works
>    (i.e., Developer's changes and/or enhancements, not the Program that
>    they enhance), as Developer sees fit [...]

Huh, well I wasn't aware of that and it sounds fine to me. Are you sure
that there's no strings attached?

> Your wording ("it's not right to force someone to give you the rights to
> their code while in the same breath talking about freedom", "This kind
> of stuff doesn't encourage any openness or 'hacker culture.'") suggests
> a different understanding of the FSF policy than what the FSF itself
> expounds, as exemplified by the passage I quoted above.

Well, my understanding of the policy was that one's _contributions_ are
owned by the FSF. I.e., that you have to sign waivers which tell the
FSF, "Hey, I give up all rights to own any code that I give you guys in
these certain projects." To me, that seems hypocritical and it seemed
that indeed the actual FSF policy versus what the FSF itself expounds
were in disagreement. But, maybe I'm incorrect about that if that above
passage is really what it sounds like.

- George Plymale II