Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 17:56:07 -0500

  > > It is an unlimited nonexclusive license; it says you can use your own
  > > code/text "as you see fit".  It may say you need to inform us the
  > > first time you want to do this, and then you get the unlimited
  > > nonexclusive license forever after.

  > In my assignments, both those from 20 years ago, and those from the
  > recent years, there's no such caveat as described in the last sentence
  > above.  I'm just given "nonexclusive, royalty-free, fully paid up and
  > non-cancellable worldwide rights to use [the code I developed], as
  > Developer sees fit."

I recall that SOME of our assignments used to say the developer
had to ask for the nonexclusive license, and would then automatically
receive it.  But it has been many years since I signed the assignments
myself, and I don't know whether we ever use that wording nowadays.

It doesn't make a difference in practice.  With the other wording that
make sit an option to request the nonexclusive license, the
contributor can immediately exercise the option.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.