Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 13:42:04 +0000

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

> On 02/26/2018 07:23 AM, Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
>> On 2018-02-26 10:10, Phillip Lord wrote:
>>> eval: unsupported object type in dump: SAVE_POINTER
>>
>> You can pass t to dump-emacs-portable to see where the unsupported
>> values come from.  For me SAVE_POINTERs came from loading dbus, and
>> window configurations from loading winner-mode.
>
> I love when people use features that aren't even properly documented
> yet. :-)
>
> I'm imagining using 'with-wrapper-hook' (or, since it's deprecated,
> 'add-function') to give modes a chance to tweak the global lisp
> environment that pdumper sees, avoiding some of these
> problems. Another option, which isn't necessarily mutually exclusive,
> is to provide a list of symbols to dump as nil.
>
> For now, you're going to get the most reliable results dumping a
> -batch Emacs.

I assumed that this was the case. Do you want bug reports about dumping
a non-batch? I think the use case of speeding up start up is a good one
to address, but I am aware that it's an add-on that Emacs doesn't
support at the moment. Getting the dumper stable for normal development
use is the main thing.

Phil