Re: Let's make C-M-w in isearch yank symbol, not delete character

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Let's make C-M-w in isearch yank symbol, not delete character
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 00:34:27 +0200

>> Here is a new patch with the NEWS entry.  Regarding the documentation,
>> I'm pretty sure this is not the final implementation as there will be
>> more changes in that feature before it's ready to be documented in
>> (info "(emacs) Not Exiting Isearch") or in (info "(emacs) Isearch Yank").
>
> If this feature is good enough to be installed, it should be
> documented.  If there are later changes, the documentation should be
> amended to reflect that.  If nothing else, this makes sure we don't
> forget to document it.  Also, there are people who track the master
> branch, and they will certainly benefit from having this documented.

Done with documentation updates in the manual.  Also I noticed that the
value nil of search-exit-option is quite broken: it doesn't do anything
useful.  The manual says:

  "However, if you customize the variable ‘search-exit-option’ to ‘nil’,
  the characters which you type that are not interpreted by the
  incremental search are simply appended to the search string.  This is
  so you could include in the search string control characters, such as
  ‘C-a’, that would normally exit the search and invoke the command
  bound to them on the buffer."

But the comment in isearch-pre-command-hook says:

  ;; If search-exit-option is nil, run the command without exiting Isearch.

So it's not clear what it should do for e.g. motion commands:
just move point without exiting Isearch or append control characters
of motion keys to the search string?