State of the overlay tree branch?

From: Sebastian Sturm
Subject: State of the overlay tree branch?
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:14:53 +0100

Hi,

after finding that the feature/noverlay branch does wonders for my editing experience[1], I'd like to reinvigorate the discussion on its inclusion into master. Are there plans for a merge with the emacs-27 master branch? Any critical issues blocking such a merge?

If a recent Emacs 27 variant with the overlay branch feature was available, I'd be happy to evaluate that in my daily work.

best regards,
Sebastian Sturm

[1] I'm using cquery for my C++ editing needs, which comes with an overlay-based semantic highlighting mechanism. With my emacs configuration, lsp-mode/lsp-ui emit 6 calls to line-number-at-pos per character insertion, which consume ~20 to 25 ms each when performing edits close to the bottom of a 66KB C++ file (measured using (benchmark-run 1000 (line-number-at-pos (point))) on a release build of emacs-27/git commit #9942734...). Using the noverlay branch, this figure drops to ~160us per call.