Re: State of the overlay tree branch?

From: Sebastian Sturm
Subject: Re: State of the overlay tree branch?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 00:20:13 +0100

for the record, I just switched back to emacs master (no noverlay) and the time reported by (benchmark-run 1000 (line-number-at-pos (point)) increased by a factor of ~40, to 75-80s. At this level, editing is unbearably slow. With the semantic highlighter disabled, the same measurement yields ~2.5s (still painfully slow, but borderline usable), so about the same time reported by the noverlay branch. To me, this suggests that noverlay indeed improves performance, though not necessarily to the level I had previously claimed. find_newline may solve this particular issue completely. Since the time taken by line-number-at-pos seems to fluctuate wildly for (to me) unknown reasons, I'll try and see if I can set up a systematic way to collect reliable data.