Re: macOS support

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: macOS support
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 18:31:29 -0400

> suiggesting we immediately drop support for earlier versions, but 10.6 was
> released in 2009 - a 9 to 10 year backwards compatibility is probably
> excessive - 5 years would probably be a better target.

As a user of one of those machines which are only supported upto OSX
10.6 (a 2006 macmini), I'm split on this one:
- on the one hand, I strongly disagree with Apple and the rest of the
  industry who wants to force users to keep buying new machines, even
  tho the old ones would still do the job just fine.  So I'd rather that
  Emacs doesn't encourage its users to buy a new machine just because we
  don't support their version of OSX any more.
- on the other, I of course don't use OSX but Debian on that machine,
  and find it actually supports the hardware better than OSX ever has
  (e.g. I can use both the VGA and the DVI output at the same time).
  So I strongly encourage those users who think they're stuck with OSX
  10.6 to upgrade to a Free operating system.

-- Stefan