Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:49:20 +0300

> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 00:22:43 +0300
> Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com, danny@dfreeman.email, stefankangas@gmail.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, manuel.uberti@inventati.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
> On 27/08/2023 19:04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> How did you decide when to draw the line between Emacs 29 and Emacs 30?
> >
> > That's when the release branch is cut.  But doing so doesn't determine
> > the future release date, except very roughly.
> >
> > When to cut the release branch is up to the maintainers, and IME the
> > reasons are not fixed.  The mount of new features and the time since
> > the last major release are important factors, though.
>
> There is a fair amount of leeway and personal judgment in when to
> consider a release to be "ready", so it's possible that we could try.

We could try what?

> > There's also a problem that we rarely can promise a certain release
> > date, because there are factors out of our control, such as the bugs
> > and regressions reported during pretest, the resources that can
> > dwindle due to "Real Life", etc.
>
> If we do manage to release Emacs versions (most or all) before Debian's
> cutoff dates, that would mean larger user base and more testing to be
> done on the release right away. Perhaps if we fall into cadence, some
> people would then come regularly from Debian's side and test the
> pretests in advance, to check that everything is in order.
>
> That's a possible "two way street", but it's not something that can be
> agreed to beforehand, I guess, not in the least because we won't want to
> give any guarantees at the start.

I don't think anyone will argue with the advantages.  The problems are
much more practical.  We are all volunteers here, so promises of a
release date are notoriously unreliable.  I intended to have the first
pretest of Emacs 29 in February, but only succeeded to get it out in
April, for reasons that were completely out of my control.