Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:32:07 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Is there any downside holding on a minor release if _some_ bugs are
>> already fixed, even if others are not yet?
>
> What would be the point?  People who want something like that can
> simply build the Git release branch, where we fix bugs every few days.

For Org, a number of people just update from ELPA. Releasing benefits
these users.

> A minor release is more than just code with some bugs fixed: it (a)
> has no known bugs except those whose fix is too risky, and (b) was
> tested in the wild during a pretest.

You are right. To clarify: I am talking about _bugfix_ releases. Like
Org 9.6.7 -> 9.6.8. Emacs does not have those, currently.

>> What I recently did for Org's bugfix releases was:
>> 1. Every two weeks I see if some bug fixes landed on bugfix branch
>> 2. If there are, I just tag a bugfix release
>
> If all you do is tag a commit, then that's not what constitutes a
> minor release in Emacs.  We do much more than just tagging.

So, what about "bugfix" releases? AFAIU, it is mostly producing a
release tarball + waiting for Emacs to be packaged on major GNU/Linux
distributions. The timing would be anything acceptable for the latter
task, which appears to be a bottleneck in such scenario.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,