Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:08:08 -0400

  > How much of your concern with obtaining copyright assignments is the
  > developer's willingness to give their own signature, and how much is
  > around the hassle of needing to involve their employer, even when
  > their contributions are not at all part of their employment?

First, I have to point out that they are both necessary.  The human
authors cannot assign the copyright if an employer can legally claim
it.  By signing the employer disclaimer, the employer waives the
possibility of claiming the copyright, clearing the way for the
authors to assign it.

In practice, cases where the employer won't sign are a tiny fraction.
Some employers object to parts of the text, but we discuss it with them
and can usually reach agreement.

That doesn't seem to be relevant to the clojure-mode situation,
we now know.  The developers objections are others.