[Orgmode] Re: Feature request (org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists)

From: Baoqiu Cui
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Feature request (org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:37:25 -0700

Hi Carsten,

> Possible solutions:
>
> 1. Allow #+begin_example and friends to be indented and remove the same
>    amount of whitespace from all example lines as the #+begin line has.
>    This is possible, but would require a lot of work in the LaTeX
> exporter.
>    It would also cause a lot of problems with the edit-source-code
> stuff
>    with "C-c '", because we could then no longer use indentation
>    functionality while editing the examples.
>
> 2. Adapt the LaTeX exporter to work like the HTML exporter, ignoring
>    indentation of tables and example.  The, introduce a special list
>    item like "- ___" to explicitly terminate a list if this should be
> necessary.
>
> I welcome comments on this issue.

Thanks for looking into this problem!  Personally I would prefer option
1) if it does not require too much work.  Supporting indented tables and
#+begin_example etc. in Org-mode plain lists not only makes list
structure look cleaner, but also fits well in Org-mode's powerful
structure editing functionality (org-do-promote/demote already supports
lot of automatic indentation today, including tables and ": ..."
example lines.).

Option 2) is a very good compromise, because it is cheap to implement,
and, for *most* of the times, people do not need to use "- ___" in their
lists.

The only problem with option 2) is that, to terminate an ordered list
that has N items, do we have to use something like "(N+1). ___"?  Number
N+1 here makes the list look a little bad.  Also, "+ ___" and "* ___"
may be required for list item starting with `+' or `*'.

Baoqiu