Re: [Orgmode] moving in the agenda view is slow

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] moving in the agenda view is slow
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:00:32 -0500

Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I did:
> open the agenda view
>
> M-x elp-instrument-package <RET> org <RET
> several "n"s - delays are there - same on linux (V23.2.1) and windows emacs
> M-x elp-results
>

> org-agenda-next-line                                          79
> 4.004141      0.0506853291
> org-agenda-do-context-action                                  79
> 0.0013609999  1.722...e-05
> org-unhighlight                                               81
> 0.0009170000  1.132...e-05
> org-get-at-bol                                                79
> 0.000473      5.987...e-06
> org-detach-overlay                                            81
> 0.0002689999  3.320...e-06
> org-agenda-post-command-hook                                  81
> 0.0002449999  3.024...e-06
>
> strange, why do I not get more details?

Why are there 79 calls to org-agenda-next-line? AFAIK, there should be
just one for each "n" pressed. Maybe do M-x elp-reset-all, then press
"n", and M-x elp-results?

The thing is that org-agenda-next-line is very simple:

,----
| (defun org-agenda-next-line ()
|   "Move cursor to the next line, and show if follow mode is active."
|   (interactive)
|   (call-interactively 'next-line)
|   (org-agenda-do-context-action))
`----

and the calls to org-agend-do-context-action don't amount to much, so
essentially all of the time must be spent in the (call-interactively
'next-line).

Maybe M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> next-line <RET> will give some
more clues.  I assume call-interactively cannot be instrumented by elp
since it's in C.

Nick