Re: [O] I have terminated my assignment

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] I have terminated my assignment
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:22:56 +0530

Carsten

> When this code first entered the Org-mode repository, it was not in
> contrib/.  The code entered in EXPERIMENTAL/.  Both files where marked
> "Copyright (C) 2011-2012 FSF" and "Copyright (C) 2010-2012 FSF" from
> the first moment they entered into the repository, in agreement with
> Jambunathan's standing assignment with the FSF at the time.
>
> http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/EXPERIMENTAL/org-e-html.el?id=93ec2c7a5034944f5f6c77be6f37c49b4a697b72
>
> http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/EXPERIMENTAL/org-e-odt.el?id=c2ea76e71034a161d875647b27cfbd72264b5d64
>
> The files moved to contrib/ only in April of 2012, in a period when
> the exporter structure was fleshed out and completed.  This move was
> clearly a staging event for a later move into core, rather than a
> change of copyright assignment.  While unassigned files are are only
> allowed in contrib/, the reverse is not true and never was.

What does FSF record indicate?

Last I checked, it indicates that Emacs contains no such files and these
files are unknown to the Emacs product.  FSF email records also say that
I have out of my own initiative refused to assign *my* rights to them.

I haven't authorized Bastien to move contrib/lisp changes to lisp/.  I
invite him to show a proof to that effect.

What you indicate is daily routine.  IMNSHO, they are good to know but
not substantial to resolve the dispute.

It is common knowledge that unreleased source is *known* to show wrong
Copyright years prior to release.  Corporations securely back up - as in
put in a locker - only released tar balls.

What matters is the product (product here is Emacs) and a public release
of product together with source tarball.

Org-8.0 is not released yet.  It is a work-in-progress and not known to
public at large.  Org-8.0 is not in Emacs, it is merely a staging ground
for Emacs and Emacs maintainers will do their own due diligence
*independent* of the due diligence done by Org maintainer.

Thought experiment:
    I steal my employer's code, slap my authorship and assign copyright to
    FSF.  Does that mean the code is assigned to FSF? No.

Bottomline:
    Intent to act is not the same as act itself.

Jambunathan K.