Re: [O] Zotero csl file that uses parenthetical style for citations

From: Vaidheeswaran C
Subject: Re: [O] Zotero csl file that uses parenthetical style for citations
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 12:11:23 +0530

On Friday 06 March 2015 11:51 PM, Richard Lawrence wrote:
> Hi Vaidheeswaran,
>
> Vaidheeswaran C <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I got the subject and also text wrong. (But I hope my intention was
>> clear.) I am really looking for EXISTING in-text CSL styles.
>
> Rasmus pointed you to a relevant style:
>
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/chicago-author-date.csl
>
> I think you might be mixing up two different distinctions.  A
> "parenthetical style" like this one is distinguished from, say, a
> numeric style (like the ACM styles, I think).  This distinction between
> "parenthetical" and numeric styles applies to the document as a whole.
>
> This distinction is orthogonal to the distinction between whether
> *individual citations* are parenthetical (like "(Auth 2000)") or in-text
> (like "Auth (2000)").
>
> So there is not really any such thing as an "in-text CSL style".
> Rather, there are CSL styles that support both in-text and parenthetical
> citations (which is most of them, I'd guess).

Your guess is just a guess.  You haven't looked at chicago-author-date
style, have you?

You can prove yourself right by

(a) producing an "off-the-shelf" CSL file that uses BOTH "in-text" AND
    "parenthetical" citations.

(b) producing a csl-based tool that ORG CAN INTERFACE WITH that
    produces "in-text" AND "parenthetical" styles.