Re: [O] Confused about the explanation for 'org-cycle'

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Confused about the explanation for 'org-cycle'
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 23:30:00 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> I have a fresh example in mind to illustrate my point: this afternoon,
> I was looking for org-blank-before-new-entry.  I vaguely remembered it
> existed and was searching the manual (from Info) with the regexps
> 'blank' and 'list'.  Had the variable been mentioned, I would have
> found it within seconds; by contrast I can't imagine how much time I
> would need using customize-group...

A few seconds... type "org blank" in the search bar, click "Search" and
it is there.

Also,

  M-x apropos-variable RET org blank list RET

If you use Helm,

  F1 v org blank

is fast too.

> And, in this case, I don't see
> how having a separate section (e.g., an appendix, much like the
> Variable section), with all variables documented, would remove the
> least bit of clarity.

There are already many ways in Emacs to find a variable. I'm not
convinced that adding such an appendix would be worth the trouble
creating and maintaining it.

As another data point, Emacs' manual doesn't contain an exhaustive
variable section either.

Regards,