Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Difference between Notes, Tasks, Schedule, and

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Difference between Notes, Tasks, Schedule, and Diary?
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:35:30 -0700

address@hidden writes:

>  -Tasks are "things I need to do".

A slight philosophic musing, but tasks are not "things you need to
do".  Those might better be called "Demands".

A task is something that stands in the way of completing a goal.
Every task should contribute to a goal, or else why are you doing it?
I like hierarchical task managers for this reason (like "Life
Balance"), because they show very clearly which goal each task relates
to -- and it becomes clear when a demand has nothing to do with your
goals at all.

But such hierarchies can get confusing in a linear presentation, like
planner.el.  I'm wondering if planner.el shouldn't keep a task
database, and only display tasks from that database on the daily
pages...  I tried writing such a database for Emacs three separate
times.  It tends to make things much more complicated.

John