[emacs-wiki-discuss] remember-blosxom for slugs who don't care about sto

From: TC
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] remember-blosxom for slugs who don't care about story names
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:42:16 +0100

One of the things I like about "remember" is that, as the lisp
commentary says, it's intention is that:

  'the initial "just remember this" impulse should be as close
   to simply throwing the data at Emacs as possible.'

So when it comes to remember-blosxom, although it gives lots of
functionality in displaying that "simply thrown" data, it demands of me
that I provide a "Blosxom Category", and that seems to break the
fundamental idea of throw and move on. It's particularly cumbersome (OK,
I over-state the case, but I am a slug after all) given that the
category must be unique.  So, every time I throw data, I effectively
also have to *think* in order to generate a title. In using
remember-blosxom so far, I often find myself thinking "whatever!" in
response to the "Blosxom Category" question.

Is there any way to pander to my laziness ('cos I don't think I'm
unique)?

What about this:

a. A timestamp is used to create a unique filename which is offered to
the user as a default reply to the "Blosxom Category" request.
b. If the user gives a null response, it is treated as acceptance of the
default and the blosxom story is created with that filename and title,
and in the top level blosxom directory
b. If the user gives a response that is simply the name of an existing
directory (without any filename appended), then default filename is
used, but the story is created in that blosxom directory
c. If the user gives a response that is not the name of an existing
directory or file, that entire response is used as the filename,
including any path to subdirectories
d. If the response is the name of an existing file, the response is
rejected

That way, the lazy slugs can simply "remember", type in their stuff, hit
C-c C-c, and then go back to sleep; the moderately keen can rely on the
prompts for the filename, while choosing a directory (a.k.a. category),
and the downright energetic can specify the full story name, including
directory.

Hmmm?

tc