Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner and Diary

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner and Diary
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:15:20 -0400

Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:

> Luís Henriques <address@hidden> writes:
>> 13 September
>>   * entry 1
>>   * entry 2
>>     - entry 2.1
>>     - entry 2.2
>>   * entry 3
>>
>> Of course, emacs-wiki does not handle this correctly. First, it handles
>> the first lines as a quote paragraph (it begins with 2 spaces); then,
>> the rest is also not recognized as I would like.
>
> For your diary file, it's best if you follow the convention in the
> "(emacs) Diary" info page.  For example, my entries look like:
>
> Oct 11, 2004             October break, no classes
> Oct 12, 2004             October break, no classes
> Nov 24, 2004             Thanksgiving vacation first day
> Nov 29, 2004 7:30        Classes resume
> Nov 30, 2004 7:30 8:30   Meeting with advisor

Well, the convention described in the manual clearly allows for the
format used by Luis.

,----

|    Each entry in the diary file describes one event and consists of one
| or more lines.  An entry always begins with a date specification at the
| left margin.  The rest of the entry is simply text to describe the
| event.  If the entry has more than one line, then the lines after the
| first must begin with whitespace to indicate they continue a previous
| entry.  Lines that do not begin with valid dates and do not continue a
| preceding entry are ignored.
`----

I don't see any reason why planner should make people a) reformat
their diaries or b) use tasks to keep track of appointments. Just as
an example, people may like the fact that there is already built-in
functionality to have their diary entries mailed to them. (I did write
something for myself to have my planner pages mailed to me each day,
but diary has that built in already).

It seems worth it to me to adjust things on the emacs-wiki end if
that's possible. I don't use much of the mark-up myself though, so
maybe there isn't a way to have it act differently when there is
leading whitespace following a date specification in a diary file. But
maybe there is?

-John