Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Linking nnml backend gnus articles?

From: Patricia J. Hawkins
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Linking nnml backend gnus articles?
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:07:49 -0400

SC> "Patricia J. Hawkins" <address@hidden> writes:
>> The problem changed after I upgraded to gnus 5.10.6: gnus-fetch-group
>> now complained that it couldn't open group nnml:nnml:groupname
>> (accidentally lost the backtrace, sorry).>

SC> Has anyone else encountered this problem? A backtrace would be
SC> handy...

I've now tried and failed to reproduce it.  Thought it might have to
do with gnus-registry being off, or in an indeterminate state, so I
a) renamed .gnus.registry.eld but ran with (require 'gnus-registry)
   but without (gnus-registry-initialize)
   -- gnus email link worked fine.
b) renamed .gnus.registry.eld and did not use gnus-registry at all
   -- gnus email link worked fine.
c) ran with (require 'gnus-registry) (setq gnus-registry-use-long-group-names t)
  (gnus-registry-initialize)
  -- gnus email link worked fine.

I saw the problem the first time I ran gnus 5.10.6 after upgrading --
and with gnus-registry not totally set up; at the time I was focused
on converting quite a few rules to fancy-split and then getting
gnus-registry up and running, and was focused on that.

Anyway, SOMETHING must have been in an intermediate state.  If not
gnus-registry, an effect of a first-time initialization of some gnus
5.10.6 feature?  .newsrc.eld being converted to individual marks files
in the groups directories?  Conversion of a 5.9.0 setting to a 5.10.6
setting?  Something that gets written out after 5.10.6 is run -- but
isn't set the first time 5.10.6 runs?

Anyway, unless someone else gets this problem, I suspect it's not worth
pursuing -- might be nice if planner-gnus had a note that it requires
gnus 5.xxx or greater -- be really nice if it had an error message to
that effect.

--
Patricia J. Hawkins
Hawkins Internet Applications