Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Let's shift over to planner

From: Eric Johnson
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Let's shift over to planner--muse!
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:57:04 -0400

Hi -

I've made the jump or at least I'm trying to.

It's worth noting on the PlannerMusePort page that one still needs to install
Muse.  Took me a bit to figure that out.

I had some trouble with the hacks I've layered on top of the existing
emacs-wiki architecture.

For example, I had adjusted some emacs-wiki-*-regexp expressions to better
handle wikinames that look like this - TaxSeason2005.  Mind you I didn't edit the
source directly.  Just did some planner-mode-hook magic.

I had code built around emacs-wiki-name-regexp, but I switched that over to
muse-implicit-link-regexp so I think I'm ok for the moment.

I've disable a couple other nice to haves until I figure out what I need to do in
muse world.

I highlight these things not to be difficult or whine.  It's tough to whine with
such great free stuff!  And really, this stuff is very good.

But I at least want to make people aware that the swap out of these underlying
architectures is dangerous and more costly that you might realize.  I'm an easy
case.  I imagine there are others with more grief ahead than I've seen.

Joel Spolsky's wonderful - Rewrite from Scratch articles are worth reviewing
in this context.

Hopefully this will be the last big switch out.  I'm trying to stay on the bull, but
it's bucking a bit.  Yee haw!

-Eric