RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Nesting Sections in Muse.

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Nesting Sections in Muse.
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:27:34 +0100

Jim Ottaway wrote:

>> It's a good inititiative, but making the syntax something like the
>> following would be much more readable.
>
>> - Level 1 a
>> - Level 1 b
>> -- Level 2 a
>> -- Level 2 b
>> --- Level 3 a
>> -- Level 2 c
>> -- Level 2 d
>> - Level 1 c
>> - Level 1 d
>
> I like that.  I was also thinking that it would be useful to indicate
> the kind of list somehow (itemize, enumerate, and description in
> LaTeX). Perhaps something like
>

> - Level 1 a
> - Level 1 b
>  # Level 2 a
>  # Level 2 b
>   Level 3 description a :: text
>   Level 3 description b :: text
>  # Level 2 c
>  # Level 2 d
> - Level 1 c
> - Level 1 d
>
> Where '-' indicates an itemized item, so to speak, '#' an enumerated
> one, and <text> :: <text> a description one.  Maybe it would be easier
> to have a bullet to show descriptions too, such as % or something
>
> - Level 1 a
> - Level 1 b
>  # Level 2 a
>  # Level 2 b
>   % Level 3 description a :: text
>   % Level 3 description b :: text
>  # Level 2 c
>  # Level 2 d
> - Level 1 c
> - Level 1 d

This will then use the number of spaces to determine the degree
of indentation?

muse current doesn't know about the context as far as I can tell.
Each markup line is published on it's own without regard for
elsewhere.

 - a
 - b
 - c

gets translated into

<ul>
  <li>a</li>
</ul>
<ul>
  <li>a</li>
</ul>
<ul>
  <li>a</li>
</ul>

The context is put in at the end. I guess what is happening is that

</ul>
<ul>

is being looked for as a regexp, and then eliminated.

I guess if we go with your syntax then

 - a
  - b
 -c

would turn into

<ul>
  <li>a</li>
</ul>
<ul>
  <ul>
    <li>b</li>
  </ul>
</ul>
<ul>
  <li>c</li>
</ul>

then after elimination you would get

<ul>
  <li>a</li>
  <ul>
    <li>b</li>
  </ul>
  <li>c</li>
</ul>

or

 - a
  # b
 -c

would be

<ul>
  <li>a</li>
</ul>
<ol>
  <ol>
    <li>b</li>
  </ol>
</ol>
<ul>
  <li>c</li>
</ul>

which wouldn't work, unless </ol><ul> is also eliminated from the final
result.

Hmmm. This might just work!

I'll give it a play.

Phil