Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] nested lists

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] nested lists
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:59:29 +0000

>>> One comment: you have had the same problem that was
>>> stopping me, which is working out how to discover
>>> the end of the list. I think that we need to accept the
>>> inevitable with nested lists and have an explicit "list
>>> end" markup. With your current implementation, you wouldn't
>>> need to use this all the time, but it would be there when
>>> you wanted it.
>>
>> Yes that's a good idea: something like '<end-of-list>' to supply a
>> hint.  It would only be necessary if there was something indented
>> following what one intended to be the end of the list.
>>
>> The tag could set a not-a-list text property on the immediately
>> following text for later inspection in the list code. Or an
>> end-of-list property on the item preceding it.

> Does your code identify the end of a sub-list correctly? If not
> this isn't going to work entirely correctly. But otherwise, yes
> it seems good.

Yes it does, as far as I know.  I think the best thing would be an
end-of-list tag to be used for disambiguation when the following text
is indented, and to add a last-list-item text property to the first
list item preceding the tag.

>> The other big problem with my code is the paragraphs: I haven't quite
>> worked out how to make them come out right when, for example, there is
>> no paragraph break before the first list item.  Mind you, it seems to
>> render alright even though in that case it fails a validator.

> The code that my nested list attempt produced was also invalid wrt
> to the HTML schema, but rendnered fine. Something to do with
> paragraphs also, if I remember.

I have an idea about this, which I haven't had time to try yet: I
think that forcing a paragraph break before the first list environment
will make what I do with paragraphs with list items work correctly.
As I said, I haven't been able to test this yet.

Regards,
--
Jim Ottaway