RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] nested lists

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] nested lists
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:24:37 -0000

Jim Ottaway wrote:

>> Jim
>
>> This looks good. I shall give it a go tonight.
>
>> One comment: you have had the same problem that was
>> stopping me, which is working out how to discover
>> the end of the list. I think that we need to accept the
>> inevitable with nested lists and have an explicit "list
>> end" markup. With your current implementation, you wouldn't
>> need to use this all the time, but it would be there when
>> you wanted it.
>
> Yes that's a good idea: something like '<end-of-list>' to supply a
> hint.  It would only be necessary if there was something indented
> following what one intended to be the end of the list.
>
> The tag could set a not-a-list text property on the immediately
> following text for later inspection in the list code. Or an
> end-of-list property on the item preceding it.

Does your code identify the end of a sub-list correctly? If not
this isn't going to work entirely correctly. But otherwise, yes
it seems good.

> The other big problem with my code is the paragraphs: I haven't quite
> worked out how to make them come out right when, for example, there is
> no paragraph break before the first list item.  Mind you, it seems to
> render alright even though in that case it fails a validator.

The code that my nested list attempt produced was also invalid wrt
to the HTML schema, but rendnered fine. Something to do with
paragraphs also, if I remember.

Phil