[emacs-wiki-discuss] Planner idea: workflow

From: Levin Du
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Planner idea: workflow
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:06:03 +0800

Hi all,

I have an idea about Planner: adding workflow support.

A workflow is a series of working status. Take bug fix for exmple. We can
define three simple status: Opened, Fixed, Closed.

If a bug report is recevied,  it is put under the `* Opened' title:
<example>
* Tasks
** Opened
#B0  _ Format hang in planner-goto-plan-page (2005.09.05)

** Fixed

** Closed
</example>

And if it is fixed, it is moved from `** Opened' to `** Fixed':
<example>
* Tasks
** Opened

** Fixed
#B0  _ Format hang in planner-goto-plan-page (2005.09.05)

** Closed
</example>

People reportting that the bug is kiilled, it is finally moved to `** Closed':
<example>
* Tasks
** Opened

** Fixed

** Closed
#B0  _ Format hang in planner-goto-plan-page (2005.09.05)
</example>

Since every planner page can have different workflow (ShoppingList has `Buy',
`Stock', and OrderList may have `CallClient', 'TakeOrder' and 'Finished'
etc.), a workflow can be defined under `*Workflow' title:
<example>
* Workflow
Opened -> Fixed : The bug is confirmed and fixed
Fixed -> Closed : The bug is killed and resolved.
Opened -> Closed : The bug is not my fault.
</example>

So, a function like `planner-workflow-next' will be defined, and once invoked,
prompts users the next available status(can have auto complete, it is also
best that the description is shown), and take the workflow movement.

Any comment is welcome.

Best regards,
Levin Du