Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Questions regarding planner-trunk

From: Seth Falcon
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Questions regarding planner-trunk
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:24:44 -0800

On 23 Nov 2005, address@hidden wrote:

> Michael Heinrich <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Another question: I plan the GTD-ish way and have a real long
>> NextActions list.  Instead of having two different NextActions
>> files which are trunked by context or project I thought about
>> dynamically updating "planner-trunk-rule-list" for the NextActions
>> page to get different views of the same page.
>
> I use C-u sacha/planner-score-sort-tasks to sort tasks by a keyword.
> It doesn't do trunking, though. It would be nice to extend
> planner-trunk to dynamically extract whatever it is you needed to
> trunk by. For example, if we could specify a function as the value
> of planner-trunk-rule-list, then planner should trunk according to
> the value returned by that function, or something like that...

Along those lines...

It would be neat to have a planner-trunk like functionality that
matched on the entire task description, not just the plan pages.  Then
you could add context (+email, +phone) without having actual plan
pages for each context.  This is very similar to your scoring, but
would break things out into sections the way p-trunk does.

Another planner-trunk improvement, while we're collecting them ;-), is
to provide a way to specify the order to display the "trunks".
Sometimes you have to list the regexp rules in a certain order to get
the matching you want, but this may not be how you want them to
display.

And for the OP's question, I have the following in my config to auto-trunk:

(defadvice planner-sort-tasks-maybe (before my-planner-trunk activate)
  "Trunk tasks before sort automatically if sorting is automatic"
  (when planner-sort-tasks-automatically
    (planner-trunk-tasks)))

+ seth