Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Autoloads

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Autoloads
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:32:32 +0000

> Björn Lindström wrote:

>> They are totally not related. My suggestion was for a
>> way to keep a configuration file per project, together
>> with the project files.

>> This is a lot simpler, now that Muse uses file
>> extensions by default.

>   Now it's the relation between per-project conf and file extensions I
> don't see.  IMHO, the relevant point to the per-project conf is the
> fact all Muse file for a project are located in the same directory.
> It's not mandatory, but it maybe makes it simpler (a little bit).

In the absence of the current style of pre-defined projects [i.e.,
specified somewhere such as ~/.emacs], the file extension would make
it much easier to determine that a configuration file should be
searched for.  Without a file extension, and without pre-defined
projects, I think working out that a configuration file should be
loaded for the file, and indeed that this was a muse file at all,
would be complicated. I think that is the relationship that the two
things share.

Having said that, I should say that I am happy with the current
project set up set up for projects that consist exclusively of muse
files, such as planner and my notes and bookmarks.

In other cases, where there may be a mixture of different kinds of
files, it would be handy to use a file extension to indicate that only
those files were muse ones.  And it would be handier yet to be able
flexibly to define the muse parameters in those cases using
directory-based configuration files.

So I would like both [or is that all three?] of these.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway