[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Using gnus somewhat painful?

From: Na Li
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Using gnus somewhat painful?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:02:05 -0600

On 20 Jan 2006, Gregory Novak wrote:

> - Gnus doesn't seem good about either maintaining or restarting the
> connection to the IMAP server.  Many times I have to quit Gnus and
> restart.  Sometimes this seems to cause emacs to hang forever and I
> have to kill it.

I just do 'killall openssl' which solves the problem most of the time.

> - When using Gnus in the "plugged" mode where it talks directly to the
> imap server for every action, it's just slow enough to be annoying.
> I looked into using the Gnus agent to solve this.  Sure enough, it's
> _much_ faster (even pleasant) to use since messages are displayed
> instantaneously, etc.  However, there are several problems:

The nnimap agent started to be such a headache sometime ago (not from the
first time I used it though) and I've stopped using it.  I guess the bug may
have something to do with the effort to avoid repeated downloads when moving
emails around different nnimap mail boxes.

Michael