Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Using gnus somewhat painful?

From: Jim Crossley
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Using gnus somewhat painful?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:23:32 -0500

You're not alone.  I've been using Gnus for years, and for me only the
most recent update (to 5.10.7) has resulted in this...

Gregory Novak <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> - Gnus doesn't seem good about either maintaining or restarting the
> connection to the IMAP server.  Many times I have to quit Gnus and
> restart.  Sometimes this seems to cause emacs to hang forever and I
> have to kill it.

Oddly enough, I use gnus from two different machines, each pointed to
the same IMAP server, and only one of them misbehaves as you state.
That one has another IMAP backend and a bunch of splitting rules, so
I've been chalking it up to some sort of race condition.

Regardless, it's a *NEW* bug.  I've used the same config with older
versions without issue.  I just haven't had time to debug it yet.

[...]

> - I haven't been able to instruct the agent to just download all my
> messages and be done with it.  I want it to maintain a local mirror
> of what's on the IMAP server.  It gets confused, so that some
> messages appear in the Summary buffer but aren't on the IMAP
> server--when I try to view them, I get error messages like "Can't
> view message 1234!"  These messages also can't be deleted.  Yet the
> agent insists that they're there.  The only thing that seems to help
> is clearing the Agent cache directory.

All due respect, but you're kinda swimming upstream with this one.  I
wouldn't try to use Gnus as an IMAP mirroring system.  Would a POP
backend make more sense as a means to "just download all my messages
and be done with it"?

> - The agent gets confused about flags.  This may be an honest-to-god
>   bug, which I've discussed on the gnus mailing list

I don't experience this.

[...]

Good luck.  Sorry about the lack of help.  All I can offer is sympathy
and sometimes that helps.  :-)

Jim