[emacs-wiki-discuss] planner and remind with wyrd

From: ecocode
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner and remind with wyrd
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 09:57:44 +0100

Hello,

I'm still looking for an efficient way to be able to view multi-day
tasks on each day in planner. As I am not able to produce this with
planner I'm thinking about using remind and wyrd for these...

This is a conversation I had last week with Sacha and Daniel. So feel
free to give comment !

* Sacha Chua <address@hidden> wrote:

| ecocode <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > I'm thinking of using remind with wyrd to get a better looking text
| > interface ... and also I'm still struggling with tasks that span
|
| You should talk to Daniel Martins <address@hidden>, cc'd in this e-mail.
| He's also playing around with Remind and Planner. =)

Just in case and before I continue editing your Perl file... is there
any work like this done by someone else ?

This conversation is involving more people than I presumed... I think we
should move it to the planner mailing list. Don't you think so ?

| > several days in Planner. I could use remind for that part , since it
| > allows to define items that span several days ... I would just define
| > special formatted tasks in planner which would then be picked up by
| > remind.
|
| Yup! That would be great! (And that's the nifty thing about Planner
| and Emacs - it's all just text anyway, so you can make it whatever you
| want.)

I'm thinking about making tasks planned on a certain day and having a
deadline to span all these days. That won't make it necessary to add
more attributes to tasks... I can also use the duration time of the task
that can be used to

example :
#A _ 5d this is a multi-day task {{Tasks:23}} {{Deadline: 2006.03.08 - 6
     ^^
#days}} ([[TaskPool]] [[2006.03.03]])

which one would you prefer ? Sacha , Daniel ? Or maybe I should use a
preference variable set in .emacs for specifying this ? The duration
time can also be expressed in hours and minutes... so this would make it
more accurate ... however hours are depending of day work time and
holidays and ...
Actually I'm used to work with "deadline" to indicate the task
duration.

| > Or maybe I'm missing something in Planner , but I've been searching like
| > a fool and bounced on this multi-day events. I can use tasks starting on
| > a certain date and having a deadline defined. But that doesn't make
| > those tasks appear on every single day between that lag.
|
| Ahhhhh... It seems that many people find multi-day tasks quite
| intimidating, and prefer breaking them down into smaller tasks that
| they can complete in one sitting. Both David Allen's Getting Things
| Done and Stephen Covey's 7 habits promote this, I think. On the other
| hand, multi-day tasks are handy for Gantt charts, multi-day
| appointments, and things like that.

Planner can be more than just a pim to followup _my_ personal tasks.
My company (see beaver-systems.com) is manufacturing glass-metal
constructions. I'm using planner to followup projects because I don't
like the way other project management software work. I used etask.el a
little, but missed to have an integration with planner: because I need
to have those tasks appearing on my agenda, and in my project pages. So
I started to put everything in planner with the "deadline" attribute. It
works except that I need to see all tasks running on each day even
between start and deadline.

| I wonder if you can approximate the effect with planner-cyclic or
planner-diary
| while we think about how something like that should work... =)

planner-cyclic could work for the agenda part, but then again I won't
have the tasks appearing in my project page :-(

| > I'd appreciate any idea.
| > Thanks for all the effort you made in the planner project !
|
| I can't take any credit. It's all because of the totally awesome
| Planner community, and you're part of that! =)

Planner community wouldn't be the same without you or Michael Olson ;-)

--
Eco
http://www.ecocode.net