Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Instructions for converting to Muse

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Instructions for converting to Muse
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:21:48 +0100

  >>> I feel a little guilty as it was my suggestion that muse files
  >>> use an extension. Quite a few people have complained about it,
  >>> since a .muse extension became the default.
  >>>

  >> I was very irritated by it at first, but since then I've come
  >> around, and I think it's a good idea. I encourage everybody to
  >> just go with the flow on this one :).

  OM> Same here, but converting all the Muse maintained documentation
  OM> for about five different projects was a pain.  I'd be nice if
  OM> you could customise the extension on a per project basis.  We
  OM> can customise most of the settings on a per project basis
  OM> already, why not this one?

There's not really any reason that this shouldn't be done. Really, it
would be nice if muse had a project variable system like JDEE does;
unfortunately, this is actually a lot of work -- custom doesn't allow
you to modify buffer local variables, so the variables have to be set
and reset every time the selected buffer changes.

In practise, renaming all the files in a project shouldn't be
a pain; the process is easy to automate. It might be nice to add this
support to muse, but for most people this will be a one off
problem.

Incidentally, why do you want different extensions? I can't see what
particular value it brings...

Cheers

Phil