emms-help

Re: [emms-help] Emms-playlist slow down my emacs

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Emms-playlist slow down my emacs
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:21:48 +0200

"Daniel 'NebuchadnezzaR' Dehennin" <address@hidden> writes:

> Le 4522 Septembre 1993, Yoni Rabkin Katzenell a tapoté:
>> "Daniel 'NebuchadnezzaR' Dehennin" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Using the playlist buffer slow down my emacs when I have >4000 files,
>>> during the loading of infos.
>>
>> Some questions come to mind:
>>
>> Do you notice a progressive slowing down? Does Emacs start OK but become
>> sluggish as the files are processed?
>
> When I add my directory-tree, the playlist is build in 15 seconds max,
> then it starts to play, M-x emms-stop take 4 seconds to display the
> M-x and the I wait 15 seconds before the player is stoped.

It sounds like your Emacs is slowing down while Emms loads the track
information user `later-do'. Not only does this cause a lot of
disk-reads but Emacs does process handling per-each track.

If this seems like a bother then try to turn asynchronous track
information loading off:

(setq emms-info-asynchronously nil)

This means that you will wait longer after calling `emms-add-...' but
Emacs should not become sluggish after that is done.

Indeed, when I want to load my entire music collection I find that
waiting for all the infos to load is a pain. So in that case I run:

(defun emms-add-universe-synchronously ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((emms-info-asynchronously nil))
    (message "Loading...")
    (emms-add-directory-tree emms-source-file-default-directory)
    (message "Loading...Done")))

Which turns off async info loading only for the duration of adding the
entire music collection.