enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] thank you!!

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] thank you!!
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:33:44 +0100

Hi,

IvorW wrote:
Andreas Lochmann wrote:

I'm now stuck on the "advanced tutorial" level, but I've finally
figured out why the spoon could be a good thing.  (Though I have no
idea why a spoon would kill you when you drop it.)

That's a German wordplay. We say "den Loeffel abgeben" ("to give the
spoon
away" meaning "not to eat anymore") as a circumscription for "to die".

And ... what symbol is more non-violent?

Thank you for clearing up the significance of the spoon for us Brits.

Well I fear the German wordplay is not as non-violent as Andreas told you. I never heard his modern wordplay but am very sure the ancient word play has its origin in the language of hunters.

The German word for the ears of rabbits is "Loeffel" ("spoon") due to their shape. In the hunters language dead rabbits have given away their ears - called spoons. And thus it got the common German habit to recommend each other not to give away the spoon.

-- Ronald