erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Re: Make erc-autoaway-use-emacs-idle work like type-break

From: Johan Bockgård
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Re: Make erc-autoaway-use-emacs-idle work like type-break mode?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 13:50:26 +0200

Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>
>> Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I figure we could remove the idle timer functionality (since it
>>> appears to be broken) and make it an option to use the time of the
>>> last keystroke as a basis for autoaway detection.
>>
>> People keep saying that it "appears to be broken". Has anyone
>> actually checked this himself?
>
> From the documentation of `erc-autoaway-use-emacs-idle':
>
>   Note that using Emacs idletime is currently broken for most
>   versions, since process activity (as happens all the time on IRC)
>   makes Emacs non-idle.  Emacs idle-time and user idle-time are just
>   not the same.

I know what the doc says. I'm asking if anyone has actually tested
this.

>> If "Emacs idle-time and user idle-time are just not the same" is
>> true, it is a bug and should be reported.
>
> "apparently broken" wasn't the best word choice in retrospect.
> Something along the lines of "is non-optimal for the kind of idle
> detection that most people want" would have been more accurate.

*If* it is true, it *is* broken. "Emacs idle-time" and "user
idle-time" *should* to be the same (according to the Emacs Lisp
documentation).

    Emacs can do various things while idle: garbage collect, autosave
    or handle data from a subprocess. But these interludes during
    idleness do not interfere with idle timers, because they do not
    reset the clock of idleness to zero. An idle timer set for 600
    seconds will run when ten minutes have elapsed since the last user
    command was finished, even if subprocess output has been accepted
    thousands of times within those ten minutes, and even if there
    have been garbage collections and autosaves.

(info "(elisp)Timers")

--
Johan Bockgård