erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Re: Make erc-autoaway-use-emacs-idle work like type-break

From: Mark Plaksin
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Re: Make erc-autoaway-use-emacs-idle work like type-break mode?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:19:03 -0400

address@hidden (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden (Johan Bockgård) writes:

>>> People keep saying that it "appears to be broken". Has anyone
>>> actually checked this himself?
>>
>> From the documentation of `erc-autoaway-use-emacs-idle':
>>
>>   Note that using Emacs idletime is currently broken for most
>>   versions, since process activity (as happens all the time on IRC)
>>   makes Emacs non-idle.  Emacs idle-time and user idle-time are just
>>   not the same.
>
> I know what the doc says. I'm asking if anyone has actually tested
> this.

I did try it when I first started using ERC. It definitely didn't do what I
expected and wanted.  When I read those notes in the doc I didn't pursue it
further (also, I had not read the doc you quote).  It's possible that ERC's
use of idle timers is the problem and not idle timer themselves.

I may take a look at ERC's original use of idle timers but now that I have
something that works as I want it will probably take me a while to get to
it.