fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] _fanout_strategy status & other stuff

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] _fanout_strategy status & other stuff
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:19:48 -0400

Hi Sylvain,

> I'm Sylvain, a french linux administrator, I'm interested in fabric to
> maintain something like 100 servers. Fabric fit perfectly my needs but I
> need to setup scenarios that run in parallels. I saw inside the source code
> that _fanout_strategy is currently broken. What's the problem? How can I/dev
> fix it? ( I've some python experiences)

I think we just haven't had the time or need to get parallel execution
working yet. The source code has an old attempt by Christian but I
believe it had some problems. I don't recall what those were.

If you're any good with threading or similar techniques, feel free to
make your own fork of the project via GitHub and see if you can get it
working. Otherwise, I will probably give it a shot sometime in the
semi near future -- I have a branch which has made serious changes to
the overall execution of Fab commands, and adding true parallelism
would be the next big step.

> An other think is that I will need a Web Gui for my fabric scripts, do you
> have any development recommendations (webservice, os.run()...) ?

What would this Web front-end do that the command line program cannot
do now? Serious question :) It would have to involve Ajax to be any
use, I think, which can be a bit of a hurdle to jump over.

Regards,
Jeff