fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] I can't respond to prompts using Fabric "shell" or "run"

From: Niklas Lindström
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] I can't respond to prompts using Fabric "shell" or "run" verbs
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:32:56 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think having a password-safe version of prompt() (either a separate
> command or an argument to prompt() itself) would be a good idea and I
> can't think of any obvious reason why it wouldn't work. The internal
> password related prompts use getpass (at least, they did when I last
> looked) and they work fine.

I agree; I went with "naked" `getpass` and immediately wanted stuff
like "re-type" etc. I think it'd be cleaner to have a separate
operator for it (`password_prompt` is probably better than
`secret_password` unless someone can think of actual usecases for a
generic "secret value type").

I do think adding a "password expansion" like "$(passwd:password)" or
similar would be motivated by this, although it is an invasive change
for the benifit of one sole operator.. And how it should work..
Explicit `del` (as in my example), or perhaps dropping the value once
used? I'm not sure..

> I'll star this convo in my GMail and will make sure this gets added to
> the TODO list sometime =)

I do that too. ;) I really recommend the "superstars" Lab feature for
that.. (What to recommend for actually taking time to implement my
ideas is another task.. Perhaps Philip J Eby's "Owners' Circle".. ;) )

Best regards,
Niklas