fgs-bs

[Fgs-bs] Upload SGFs

From: Desired Username
Subject: [Fgs-bs] Upload SGFs
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 06:17:34 -0700 (PDT)

FEETURE: Users should be able to upload SGFs of games
they've played and have the results count towards
their rank.  (And btw, are we going to clean up or at
least figure out how rating/ranking/etc work?)
Issues:

Someone can fake an SGF of them playing Shusaku and
winning, thereby getting a 9.99999999d rank.

Reply:  So what?  As soon as they play someone it will
be clear that this is false.  Players can already lie
on existing systems by just filling in their rank info
wrong.

What if I played an offline game with someone online
and then uploaded it.  Should it count towards the
other person's rank?

Reply: I don't think so.  This would get very
complicated, what with having to ask that person if
they want it included, etc.  It would also cause
problems if the offline game just happened to be
against someone with the same name as someone online.
(Or if that person joined later.)  If the opponent
wants the game counted, she can upload it herself.

Perhaps most importantly: Are the data we would need
for this feature available in an SGF?  Name and
result, yes.  What about rank?

I guess the uploading person could indicate the rank
of the opponent.