fgs-bs

Re: [Fgs-bs] Upload SGFs

From: Desired Username
Subject: Re: [Fgs-bs] Upload SGFs
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:46:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- tps12 <address@hidden> wrote:
> IAWTF. Does this effectively put an end to the
> notion of the Free game?
> Even if my opponent does not want to play a ranked
> game, I can always
> download the SGF afterward and resubmit it for
> ranking. This looks like
> a loophole, but I don't think it is. E.g., if player
> A asks player B for
> a game, and B says, "well, I've had seven beers, so
> I'll play, but it
> has to be free." Then B will just play and not have
> to worry about
> hurting his rank. A can play, and then if she feels
> like it, she can
> upload the SGF (or ask that it be ranked, for her
> only). Again, there's
> the question of, "do I want to put a game with a
> drunk in my rating
> calculation?" In short, if you're silly enough to
> want to do this, well,
> you get what you deserve.

Right.  A few games with a particular drunk isn't
going to change your rank all that much anyway.  And
there's no way you'd catch all the good players on bad
nights.  And even if you did, you'd just have a
falsely high rank, which you can already do on
existing servers without going to the trouble of
playing games.

There's also the reverse issue of sandbagging.  You
could upload a bunch of games that make you look bad
and then thrash someone.  But I think if all game
history items were clearly marked as to type (regular,
uploaded, half-ranked, etc) then this might not be a
problem.

> Desired Username wrote:
> > (And btw, are we going to clean up or at
> > least figure out how rating/ranking/etc work?)
>
> Well, "we" sure should, at some point.

>  > Perhaps most importantly: Are the data we would
> need
>  > for this feature available in an SGF?  Name and
>  > result, yes.  What about rank?
>
> Good question, and I have no idea.

Oh, this feature would also provide another service.
If I was already well-established (rank-wise) on the
server and my friend wanted to join, I could upload
some of his games with me and he'd get a rank pretty
fast.