fle3-dev

[Fle3-dev] Thinking Tools on the WebTop

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: [Fle3-dev] Thinking Tools on the WebTop
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:32:17 +0200

Hi,

I just met a guy called Bob from South Africa and had an interesting conversation with him about e-learning and "learning objects". He made many good points about education and learning. He also told me that he is often talking himself - aren't we all? :-).

Actually he made an argument that "talking yourself" is crucial in learning process and often under estimated. I think he has a point in here. He also made a point that talking yourself takes often place with a pen and a paper: you draw diagrams, tables, mind maps, write down key words etc.

In the first version of FLE we use to have on WebTops a folder called "Thinking Tools". It was automatically in all WebTops and contained some "instructional material" about progressive inquiry. The idea was that this content - called a little bit misleading a tool - would help students to think and solve problems in the learning process.

Now I thought that we could maybe try to call back to life the idea of "Thinking Tools". The new set of thinking tools should be a real tools (small software) with some features helping the "talking yourself". For instance there could be tools for:

1) doing cross-classifications in a table / category analysis
2) drawing mindmaps
3) +/- decision making tool / table
4) Bisociation Tool (http://www2.uiah.fi/~tleinone/papanek.html)

These are just examples. I am sure you can come up with other tools.

The thinking tools should be something like the Apple's mini applications called "Widgets" (see: http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/dashboard.html). Nothing big, but simple and usable in the process of thinking yourself. AS Fle3 is an online tool there could also be some Google hacks for learning purposes (see: http://douweosinga.com/projects/googlehacks or for example: http://www.researchbuzz.org/cookin_with_google.shtml).

The thinking tools should be Java applets or equivalent - usable inside your web browser. Saving the results of "talking with yourself" is of course important - at least you should be able to print them out.

Let me know what do you think about this idea?

        - Teemu

Teemu Leinonen
http://www.uiah.fi/~tleinone/
Office: + 358 9 756 30 296