Re: [fluid-dev] 2 midi chans to separate tracks

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] 2 midi chans to separate tracks
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:20:04 -0700

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 12:47 -0600, Dave Serls wrote:
> I like to play left and right hands into separate instruments.
> What is the easiest way to obtain separate output streams from Fluidsynth?
> Launch separate engines?  I'd like them to be recorded to separate disk
> files (don't care if they are stereo or not).
> Thanks for any guidance.
>
> This is my third try posting this.
> I failed to wait for confirmation of address change (I think).

It would be a matter of routing the MIDI notes to separate channels,
then assign your desired instruments to each channel.

I'm pretty sure you can probably do this with the FluidSynth MIDI
routing capabilities (at least splitting the keyboard to separate
instruments).  Unfortunately I have never used this feature and have
little idea of how it works.  I've CC'd the author of this feature,
Markus Nentwig, if he has some time perhaps he could give us a clue how
to do this? :)

As to routing the MIDI channels to separate outputs, currently there
isn't a way to have FluidSynth render to multiple audio outputs without
starting up separate FluidSynth processes, as far as I know.  Hope that
helps.
        Josh Green