Re: [fluid-dev] 2 midi chans to separate tracks

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] 2 midi chans to separate tracks
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:24:29 -0600

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:20:04 -0700
Josh Green <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 12:47 -0600, Dave Serls wrote:
> > I like to play left and right hands into separate instruments.
> > What is the easiest way to obtain separate output streams from Fluidsynth?
> > Launch separate engines?  I'd like them to be recorded to separate disk
> > files (don't care if they are stereo or not).
> > Thanks for any guidance.
> >
> > This is my third try posting this.
> > I failed to wait for confirmation of address change (I think).
> >

> It would be a matter of routing the MIDI notes to separate channels,
> then assign your desired instruments to each channel.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can probably do this with the FluidSynth MIDI
> routing capabilities (at least splitting the keyboard to separate
> instruments).  Unfortunately I have never used this feature and have
> little idea of how it works.  I've CC'd the author of this feature,
> Markus Nentwig, if he has some time perhaps he could give us a clue how
> to do this? :)

  Thanks for your reply.
  I've written a script that can do the keyboard splitting (but I use my
  Yamaha P90 to split them to adjacent channels because it's just easier).

> As to routing the MIDI channels to separate outputs, currently there
> isn't a way to have FluidSynth render to multiple audio outputs without
> starting up separate FluidSynth processes, as far as I know.  Hope that
> helps.

  What's the deal with multiple audio channels (-L)?  Where do they fit in?
  If you start another engine do you then force the specified channel(s) to a
given
  engine via midi_router commands?

>       Josh Green

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *
*   dashs.denver.co.us                         sorrybiscuit.com        *