Re: [fluid-dev] Re: invalid instrument/drum selection problem

From: Edenyard
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: invalid instrument/drum selection problem
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:37:55 +0000

Jimmy wrote:

I have assumed
that channel 10 is for drums, but what do I know ;-)

One thing's certain - you know a lot more about it than I do!

Anyway, I only guess that there is a flag somewhere
that Qsynth uses to start up FluidSynth with 32
channels.  I got some style files playing here showing
drum changes on (Qsynth) channel 10 and 26 as well as
other instruments on parallel channels.  Basically two
set of 16 channels (stereo sounds???).  Here a quick
check from "man fluidsynth":

  -K, --midi-channels=[num]     The number of midi
channels [default = 16]

  -L, --audio-channels=[num]    The number of stereo
audio channels [default = 1]

Maybe that could help you with the 16 channel limit,
at least with FluidSynth, not sure about other
SoftSynth or hardware synth should you care about
compatibility.

I haven't really told you my whole story - mainly because I didn't want to clutter up the thread. But since Jorgan has been mentioned just recently, I'll come clean and say that that's what I'm using. I start up Fluid with -K 48 to get 3 lots of 16 iput channels and all 48 channels are used for sounding notes. I'm not sure that Jorgan can be told to skip certain channels in the groups of 16, which is why I became anxious when I thought you were talking about making channel 10 drums only. I don't use Qsynth so I can't really comment on that.

One of these days I need to crack this Jack thing that I see mentioned so often. I've heard that Jack's reverb is better than Fluid's, but then I'm using an old-ish Fluid and I seem to remember Josh mentioning some improvements to the reverb in his latest release of Fluid so I ought to try that first.

My problem is that, being somewhat computationally-challenged, it takes me ages to get something working and then I'm reluctant to tinker with it in case I break it again!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Gerald.