Re: [fluid-dev] Re: invalid instrument/drum selection problem

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: invalid instrument/drum selection problem
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:52:56 -0800 (PST)

> Josh! All info is very gladly received. I've got a
huge amount
> to learn about Jack and all, and your comments are
very helpful in
> pointing me in the right direction.

> If it wasn't for all the excellent work that you and
others do on Fluid

> (and answering all the questions!), my organ project
would most likely
> be a dead duck. So grateful thanks to you all for
all of that, too.

> (You can stop blushing now....)
>
> Cheers,
> Gerald.

Gerald,

I was fumbling in the dark too.  Didn't know jack
about Jackd ;-)  Didn't find too much info on how to
get started at the time.  Now there should be a few
mini guides to do that but stil some searching and
sifting.  Anyhow, I did try a few multimedia distros
on live-CD like Musix, Dynebolic, and maybe another
one, also heard about Studio64, too.

Good thing about the live-CDs are you can run those
without installing them.  Though if you don't know
what they are and have some security concerns, try it
on a spare PC with just a CD/DVD drive without any
hard drive connected, or connection.  Of course, there
could be BIOS virus out there, to at least be aware
of.  It may not be widespread thing on Linux right
now, but I'm not so sure I trust everything out there.
 I recently read that some brand new in the box
laptops heading for Taiwan had some kind of malware
infection directly from some main-land china's
manufacturing facility.  And I'm not sure I'd try some
"RedFlag" distributions either ;-)

Anyway, Musix distro is also Debian-compatible, by
that I mean it can use Debian repositories directly so
it is less of a concern for upgrades of applications
in the long run should you choose to use it.  But I
didn't like a couple of quirks in Musix, so I went
with a different Debian distro.  The thing is from the
live-CD and its menu, I learn the command scripts that
it uses to launch the apps, as well as trying out
those apps the way the Musix folks have already setup
for a fully cooperating set of apps.  I learned how
Qjackctl launches jackd, all the various sound apps
that are connected to jackd are shown in the Qjackctl
panels.  And I finally understand how jackd works and
Qjacktl gives a complete overview of the sound apps
interconnection.

It's just my own experience, it was a great hands-on
demo of Linux musical apps just by launching them from
the menu.  You can decide if and how you want to try
something - hint, hint... ;-)  As I said, I don't even
use Musix right now, but I learned quite a bit from an
earlier live-CD of theirs a while back.  Once you
learned how it works, you can do the same in just
about any distribution.

Best regards,

Jimmy

Be a better friend, newshound, and