Re: [fluid-dev] Apt package dependencies -- WAS Re: Proposal: FluidSynth

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Apt package dependencies -- WAS Re: Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 18:21:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 8/5/12, jimmy <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you still don't understand what I have written, it would
> still be a big baffling mistery for you.

Sorry, "mystery" not "mistery".

More on decoding "apt-get" command you used.  From the info you posted:

address@hidden:~/fluidsynth-1.1.6$ sudo apt-get build-dep fluidsynth
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  jackd2 jackd2-firewire libjack-jackd2-0
  jackd1 libjack-dev libjack0
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/637 kB of archives.
After this operation, 371 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 218822 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing jackd2-firewire ...
dpkg: libjack-jackd2-0: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
requested:
zita-at1 depends on libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.5~dfsg-14) | libjack-0.116;
however:
  Package libjack-jackd2-0 is to be removed.
  Package libjack-0.116 is not installed.
  Package libjack-jackd2-0 which provides libjack-0.116 is to be removed.
  Package libjack0 which provides libjack-0.116 is not installed.
sndfile-tools depends on libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.5~dfsg-14) | libjack-0.116;
however:
  Package libjack-jackd2-0 is to be removed.
  Package libjack-0.116 is not installed.
  Package libjack-jackd2-0 which provides libjack-0.116 is to be removed.
  Package libjack0 which provides libjack-0.116 is not installed.

   . . .

  [with many more messages about packages depending on "libjack-jackd2-0"]

<<<

You need to understand the messages from that command,

   apt-get build-dep fluidsynth

it tells you exactly what it woud do:

   The following packages will be REMOVED:
     jackd2 jackd2-firewire libjack-jackd2-0
     jackd1 libjack-dev libjack0

Which is NOT what is needed by the currently testing Fluidsynth version.
Apparently, "build-dep fluidsynth" in your repository still refer to some
old-old version of fluidsynth development packages which explicitly requires:

   jackd1 libjack-dev libjack0

but these are jack 1.x packages.  If you proceed, it tell you that:

   The following packages will be REMOVED:
     jackd2 jackd2-firewire libjack-jackd2-0

You have to read that and understand the implication of answering "Yes" to
proceed with that command.  In order for you to compile the currently testing
version of Fluidsynth, you should have answered "No" to quit that command.
Because, obviously the repository you are using is very outdated as far as
Fluidsynth is concerned.

It means you have to manually figure out, and install all the package
dependencies for the current Fluidsynth version and not depend on "apt-get" to
resolve such dependencies for you.

Jimmy